“7 Questions before Movement” is an ongoing series in which we ask the same seven questions to as many artists playing at this year’s Movement Detroit festival (and its afterparties) as we possibly can. The goal of this series is to familiarize festival goers with the styles and personalities of artists they can expect to see around the festival (because let’s be real – there’s always at least a few names we don’t recognize right away). Next up is first-wave Detroit legend Eddie Fowlkes.
1. Have you been to the festival before, as a performer or just as a listener? If so, what is your most distinct memory from the experience?
Yes, as a performer. I was the first DJ to be incorporated with keyboardists, dancers, and singers. I have been attending the Movement Festival, Detroit for many years.
2. Do you have any favorite classic Detroit techno tracks or artists?
My favorite techno track is ‘Good Life’ by Inner City.
3. Based on what’s been announced so far, which artists playing at the festival are you the most excited to see this year?
I will be looking forward to see Maceo Plex and Carl Cox.
4. To give readers a sense of the style of music you play, please name three tracks you’ve been showcasing in your sets lately.
Something Special by Eddie Fowlkes
That’s What I Think About by Eddie Fowlkes
5. What was your most recent release, and where can readers find it?
One of my most recent releases was Detroit Wax- 007. Two more are Something Special (on the A-side) and Computer (on the B-side). They can find it at eddiefowlkes.com and Juno distribution.
I have a single released called “I’m Telling You” on Desolat Compilation, which was released in March 2014.
6. What kind of equipment will you be using for your set, and why do you prefer it?
Recently, I have been using CDJ-2000. I prefer it because it does its job.
7. Can we expect to see you play at any after parties this year?
No. I am coming in late for the festival this year. I will be touring Europe for April and May, but still looking forward to playing and getting ready to see some great acts play.