“7 Questions before Movement” is an ongoing series in which we ask the same seven questions to as many artists playing at this year’s Movement Detroit festival (and its afterparties) as we possibly can. The goal of this series is to familiarize festival goers with the styles and personalities of artists they can expect to see around the festival (because let’s be real – there’s always at least a few names we don’t recognize right away). Next up is the Berlin-based Vault Series founder Subjected, who will be playing at the Electric Deluxe showcase on Friday night.
1. Have you been to the festival before, as a performer or just as a listener? If so, what is your most distinct memory from the experience?
I’ve never been at the festival. I’ve never been before In the US.
2. Do you have any favorite classic Detroit techno tracks or artists?
I really like Rob Hood, Jeff Mills, and Arpanet.
3. Based on what’s been announced so far, which artists playing at the festival are you the most excited to see this year?
There are so many good artists billed this year, but I think don’t have the chance to see my favorite artists because I have to leave Detroit on the 24th. My booking agency will also come to Movement, but I won’t be able to hook up with them. That’s sad too. But I will come a few days earlier to see the city.
4. To give readers a sense of the style of music you play, please name three tracks you’ve been showcasing in your sets lately.
I always try to keep a high energy on the dancefloor, and I always need a really strong bass. When I play longer sets I try to combine some chord stuff and some melodic tracks. These three tracks I’ve been playing all the time for the last half year:
Subjected – Nastes
Clouds – Chained to a Dead Camel
Rødhåd – The Wall
5. What was your most recent release, and where can readers find it?
Since the last 4 weeks there was a lot of “Subjected” stuff released:
- Sawlin & Subjected – Foreign Awake Pt.2 /// Electric Deluxe
- Subjected – Conquest One /// Prosthetic Pressings
- Subjected – 302 /// Sleaze Record
- PAT|RYK – Lost (Subjected Remix) /// Defaultbox.
You can find them on decks.de or juno.co.uk or on beatport.com.
6. What kind of equipment will you be using for your set, and why do you prefer it?
I use Traktor Scratch Pro 2, two Native Instruments X1 controllers and sometimes when I play longer an old Native Instruments Maschine. I play a decks and FX set, and use 4 channels – some filled with original tracks and some filled with effected loops. At the moment I’m playing like this because when you combine this you can work more creatively. And you’re not limited to single track like when you play with CDs or vinyl.
7. Which afterparties can we expect to see you at this year?
I’ll be playing at the Electric Deluxe showcase on Friday. But for other gigs, I am billed monthly at my favorite club in Berlin, Stattbad Wedding. And I will be at Sonar this year and there are some other good requests across Europe, but it´s to early to announce those yet…